Domain name and Hosting space
- Domain name is the name of your website, ie: www.whaever.com
- The problem with very cheap domain registration is that the registrar company might charge you a lot of money to move your domain to another one if you're not happy with the service
- Google prefers domain names that have been registered for more than one year
- Ask for a UK-based IP or .uk domain or .com in a uk based company, as it identifies a site as being "British" and this is good for SEO
- Hosting space is a physical space in a server computer to upload the files needed for your website.
- Ask for: Operating System: Linux (more reliable and cheaper than Windows) | Server side programming: PHP (free and cheaper) | Data Base: MySQL (free and open source database)
Registrar and Webhosting companies
- Registrar company: to buy a Domain name
- Webhosting company: to buy a Hosting space
- Most of the Registrar companies offer as well Webhosting, so it is best to buy both products with the same company
godaddy.com (recommended) |
- Keep all the login and passwords for: the company where you bought the products | control pannel | FTP
Connect Domain to Hosting
- Go to your Registrar company > Enter in your account > Select your Domain > Select NS (Name Servers) > Change them with the ones provided by your Webhosting company (look in the welcome email).
- Your site will start working in 24 hours, may be sooner.