Getting Noticed on Google > Google Listings + SEO
Google Listings > Sponsor (Adwords) + Natural (SEO)
- Google is the world's most popular search engine, where users search using keywords and get 2 result of listings:
- Sponsor Listings: These appear either on top of the main listings or on right hand column of Google search listings. To be included in these listings you have to use Adwords, which is a Google pay per click system, where you create your own ad. using a Google account. (See diagram: paid listings)
- Natural Listings: If you do not want to pay Google for a Sponsored Listing, you need to optimize your website by using SEO so that your website appears below the Sponsored Listings amongst the Natural Listings. Optimising your website should make your website appear high in the Natural Listings. (See diagram: natural listings)
What is SEO? > Keywords + Backlinks + Validate + Submit
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is the process of optimizing your website so that the website should appear higher in the Google Natural Listings. This process is done by the web design team when your website is being created.
- Identify a set of Keywords which your clients are most likely to use in Google Search to find your website, the less competitive the keywords the higher results in Google Natural Listings. Use a set of different keywords per page.
- Use those keywords in your web pages code
- Title: Separated list of keywords. Maximum: 9 words and 70 characters
- Meta-Keywords: 6 sets of 2 o 3 keywords separated by commas. Maximum: 14 words
- Meta-Description: A Paragraph using the keywords. Maximum: 25 words and 150 characters
- Domain name: Try to use if possible your keywords in your domain name, ie: www.webdesignlondon.com
- Contents: Headers / Links / Image alt tags / Page content / Folders / Filenames
- Get backlinks from related webstes by exchanging links with them to get high PageRank
- Validate your website: Use XHTML / Use CSS / Don't use Frames / Don't use tables for structure / Don't use font tags
- Submit in Google your website and your sitemap and wait for Google Spider to find all these changes... Patience!