If you love your website because you think it is fast, has got many functionalities, huge images and you love its current minimal design with not much text, you may need to read this:
Cache: The speed that you experience is not what others do
Your perception of the speed of your website is not real for first time visitors, you may see it at different speed because your browser is storing files form previous visits, this is called Cache memory. Also each person sees the website on different devices with different internet connection speeds.
- Clean the Cache memory of your browser in your device to see how first time visitors are experiencing the speed of your website as if they were using your device and your connection
Plugins: Too many functionalities will slow down your website
If your website is using many functionalities and effects, that means that you are using many plugins and this will slow down your website.
- Deactivate plugins that are not being used
- Consider to deactivate other plugins that are being used depending on its impact in downloading speed
Images: Big images will slow down your website
Big image dimensions are needed for printing purposes but not for images for web.
- Upload your images for web using correct pixel dimensions for its maximum displaying scenario
- For photos use always JPG format and never PNG format
- Compress JPG images around 50% to 60%
- For SEO purpose, use human readable text for the image file name and for the image Alt tag
Design: You need to design your website for your visitors
The main purpose of your website is to attract visitors to your website to generate conversions to your business.
- Design your website having in mind the needs and taste of your visitors
- Try not to use one page website design, it is not good for google SEO and download speed
- Do not use image sliders, they are bad for human usability and downloading speed
Contents: You need text to appear in Google
Google indexes your website using text contents, so if your pages do not have enough text or the text is not relevant, then Google will not be able to index your pages correctly.
- Add more relevant text contents: For each page create some Search phrases (using Generic Theme keywords and Specific Niche keywords):
- Contents: Use these search phrases and keywords to write the text content copy of your pages
- Meta information: Use these search phrases and keywords to create 2 pieces of text and place them in the code:
- Meta Title (maximum 65 characters counting spaces)
- Meta Description (maximum 160 characters counting spaces)